Extending the pump chamber
Daniel Hayes Farm is in Derbyshire, just over the border with Leicestershire, near to Smisby. The farm dates back to 1200. Owner, Andrew Mosely, a keen conservationist, wanted to restore the pump but, when it was installed in 1934, it had been sited inside the boundary and below the water level of a Tudor fish pond, which he also wished to restore.
The answer was to raise the level of the Pumping Chamber by 12 inches bringing its top above the restored pond water level. This work was undertaken primarily by LIHS members.
Over a period of 12 months, they successfully completed the project and the new pump is once again supplying water to the farm high up above the valley, driven only by the kinetic energy extracted from the feeder stream. No external power is required.
Above: Lowering the finished ram pump into position
The finished dam